Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Interesting Dream

I had a very vivid dream last night. That's not unusual for me...I usually remember most of my dreams and they are usually vivid as well. The one I had last night was one of those kind that sort of linger with you all day. During moments of boredom, preoccupation, or other regulatory stuff, I found myself thinking about this weird dream. I also found it rather odd that today we discussed sleep and dreams in my Brain & Behavior class - coincidence? (Matrix quote up next "There are no coincidences") Anyway, my dream involved me being shot at by some guy, not sure who...I remember pleading my case to him why he shouldn't shoot me :P Then I remember running down this path in what I like to call "Tree City" - essentially it's like a village up in the trees....I probably dream about Tree City because of Mario Cart - there's a level on there where you drive through the tree tops and it's my favorite level and the only one I'm good at :P. Anyway, I was running through Tree City and out of the blue Bob was there. He was just standing there smoking a cigarette. It seemed to me like he was out shopping in Tree City and taking a smoke break. I remember him being a look out for me while I was trying to hide from whomever was trying to shoot me.

That's the end of the first dream - so much as I can remember. The second dream from this same night was odd as well. I've been trying to remember the scenario, but I can't. All I remember was these weird parachuter guys who had flags attached to their legs as they flew through the air. Only, the flags weren't American flags or English flags, they were Jeff Gordon flags. Orange in the background with blue numbers. Those are Ramin's UF Gator colors...and Jeff Gordon is his driver. It's odd...if I wanted to dream about Nascar flags, why didn't I dream of Jimmie #48 flags? It's all very puzzling.

To finish the story, we talked about dream theories in class today as part of our discussion - how fitting! Some theories, like Freud's and Jung's, say that all dreams are symbolic and have meaning. Other theories, more contemporary theories, say that dreams have no meaning but are essential to the sleep process. They are merely collections of images from our daily lives.

I'm not sure what is true...I'm not sure anyone will know. But it's kind of fun to think that they do have meaning...but finding out what the meaning IS, is the hard part! I'm open to interpretations!

3 comments:

Crackerjack said...

Aha! I see the connection. Both dreams are connected. Your tree city is in-fact a representation of the tree level on Mario Kart. You associate Nascar and Jeff Gordon with Ramin. Whats happening is that your dream is an interpretation of you and Ramin playing Mario Kart. You're in the lead winning the game and Ramin is coming after you and is going to shoot a red turtle shell or some other item and the only way to stop him is something to do with with Bob. Maybe Something in Mario Kart represents Bob somehow... Your brain is figuring out how to win at Mario Kart subconsciously. Go ahead and say it, I'm a genius.

bob's bs said...

Hm. Having never seen Mario Kart, I couldn't say what exactly I'd be protecting you from, but that I was in your dream at all seems interesting at best. Other than the paratroopers (correct term, BTW), were there any other actual people in that dream?

Jenn said...

Ok to Chris - Good job! Sounds plausible.

To Bob - they didn't seem like paratroopers....they weren't even parachuters either, they didn't have any parachutes. They were essentially using the flags attached to their legs as their parachutes...I'll have to draw a picture or something. There were other people in the dream yes, in Tree City there were tons of other people, just no one I specifically remembered.