Friday, January 23, 2009

No Raises

So this is one thing about work that I can post, because it relates to the economy more than anything. This past week eBay announced earnings. We were under of course, so no one got a bonus. In all of my 6 years at eBay, that's only happened once before. Now it will probably be the standard. Every time earnings are announced, we always get a company wide email that discusses the direction and such. I failed to notice during my first reading that there was one sentence in the email that told us yearly merit increases would not happen in 2009. This has never happened before. My co-worker and I were talking about it today and of course we complained a little, but then we started trying to look on the positive side. At least we HAVE jobs right now. I read an article today that said Microsoft would be laying off 5,000 people soon. We all know about all of the other companies in trouble as well. So to actually have a job is great news. We also have extremely generous benefits which I'm grateful for as well. So, it's not all bad. It could be a lot worse. But it still sucks :P

1 comment:

p2niak said...

Ouch. As if morale weren't low enough :( But you are right - at least everyone still has a job and full benefits. I hope they don't have to skim any of the benefits. At this point, that's really the only incentive to stay there. Well, that and the fear of not being able to find another job if you leave but you know what I mean.