Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My Idea

Sooo, a few weeks ago I was browsing eBay - something I do quite often of course - and I decided to look up invitations, specifically for weddings. I got the idea in my head because I was sort of planning along for the future (ahem ahem) and wanted to see the options out there. While I was browsing, I came across a beautiful green and white invitation. I looked at the pictures on the auction and noticed the first name on the invite was "Fadia" - I thought to myself, "Hey! I knew a Fadia back in high school in Florida". So I continue reading more at the invitation and it showed her complete name! I was kinda in shock because I knew who it was that had the invitation. All of the info on it was from Florida too! So then I looked at the seller's info and it turns out she was my other friend from high school as well - her name is Annette.

Anyway - I emailed them both and am friends with them on Facebook. The point of all this though, is that all of my invitation research led me to think about it as something I might want to try. And then when I found out that Annette does it as a business, I really got inspired!

So here are my thoughts:

- I'm not terribly creative, so I asked Jill if she'd like to work with me on this. She's been wanting to start her own business type thing for a while and I figured we could work good together. She is the creativity and I am the business side.

- I've been doing TONS of research, from printers, to paper suppliers, to special software I can use.

- Chris and Ramin can make me a website when the time is right.

- Jill and I can make some prototypes and create some ideas before we start going. I am going to purchase some special software I found that is specific to invitations. Once I learn that we can create some samples to use on our website.

I'm kinda excited and nervous at the same time about this venture. I find myself constantly thinking about it and it seems so fun to me - of course thats if it succeeds. I plan to only do this as a hobby for the first little while, especially while I'm still in school. But we'll see how good we are at it and how fun it is for us. If we like it we can gradually ramp things up. I am so grateful I have a contact in Annette because she was able to provide me with some insight into whether this is something plausible or not. I think the Utah market is a perfect place for this because it is the fastest growing state in the US at the moment, not to mention all of the weddings that happen here ;)

If anyone cares to share, let me know your thoughts!

No comments: