Saturday, September 13, 2008

A comment on classes...

Here are my thoughts so far on my Fall classes:

1) Syntax - I'm still trying to figure out why anyone really even cares about the structure of sentences and why some people think it's fun drawing sentence trees. All these linguistics people in my class appear to want to become syntactians. I understand the grief I get about choosing philosophy, but at least I can see some use in it in the real world. I'm giving this class a chance, but so far I'm just bored out of my mind and find verb and noun phrases completely boring.

2) Ancient Greek Philosophy - LOVE this class! The professor is awesome and teaches well, the material is entertaining and I think this may end up being my most favorite philosophy class. Right now we're reading Plato - specifically Theaetetus and The Apology.

3) Contemporary Ethics - I like Ethics, I took my initial Ethics course with the same professor that is teaching this new one. This class is my first 5000 level class and it doesn't appear any harder than any of my other philosophy classes. It's interesting but it's highly technical philosophy - stuff I'm already used to.

4) Engineering Computing - the ONLY reason I'm taking this is because of my Cognitive Science minor (same goes for Syntax). I am NOT a computer coding person. I'm not good at math. This class is already kicking my butt. I've enrolled Chris and Ramin to be my personal tutors. I hope I make it through this one - literally.

So there we are...some good, a lot of bad. This is my hardest semester of my life. I want to apologize right now to all of my friends that I will ignore from now through December. I'm sorry, if you know me well, you know I have to do well and if that means I have to sacrifice some fun time with family and friends, so be it. It's only temporary. Don't think I'm leaving you in the dust forever ;)

No comments: