Saturday, April 4, 2009

Religious Use Drugs


I'm in the process of writing an extremely long paper about the effects and experiences acquired by various types of drugs. In my research I've come across many many articles and books about this topic. One part I've found rather fascinating is the whole Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco. Apparently this is the place for the Hippie movement and psychedelic movement. Back in 1967-68 there was an underground paper that was distributed called the San Francisco Oracle. In a lot of my reading and research I've come across various tidbits of information about what type of information was contained in the Oracle. Pretty interesting stuff. I'm not at all near done with my paper, I'm still in research mode, but I have a general idea of what the focus of my paper is going to be. Drugs used for religious purposes are really no different than many other types of sacrements that people have used through the ages to induce "religious experience". Anyway, just wanted to share what I'm working on. In the next few weeks after this paper is done, I'll be focusing on philosophy of religion for my other class, specifically I'm going to find out and discuss how philosophers called "The Romantics" felt about religion. Pretty interesting stuff!

No comments: