Sunday, November 9, 2008

Birthday Dacryocystitis

Beginning on Wednesday my right eye started watering for no apparent reason. I did not feel sick, I was only experiencing this weird watery eye. Thursday it got worse so I stayed home from work and school. Friday I made it to work but it was still watering and I carried around a tissue with me everywhere I was. Saturday was still bad but I still did errands and even met with my partner from school at the library for a while. She suggested that maybe I had a sinus infection and it was coming out of my eye. It sounded logical so I bought some Mucinex D and took it Saturday night. That night was awful...I woke up in the middle of the night with major pain on the right side of my face. It felt like my head was going to explode - I wanted to poke it with a needle to relieve the pressure. I moved to the couch to get more comfortable and I finally fell asleep.

Mom called around 10 am and I told her the problem and she suggested I go to InstaCare...I knew I should've gone earlier probably but I was hoping my eye would get better on its own. So Ramin took me to InstaCare and we waited for an hour...the doctor finally saw me and was adamant that it was not a sinus infection. Instead he suggested that I had dacryocystitis. Here is the official definition of it:

Dacryocystitis is an infection of the nasolacrimal sac. It causes pain, redness and swelling over the inner aspect of the lower eyelid and epiphora. It is often caused by nasolacrimal obstruction.

Clinical features

  • pain, swelling, redness over the lacrimal sac at medial canthus.
  • tearing, crusting, fever
  • digital pressure over the lacrimal sac may extrude pus through the punctum
  • In chronic cases, tearing may be the only symptom
I pretty much have all of those symptoms, including the pus, along with a constant headache...which I can relieve somewhat with IBuprofen. So far it's been 5 days with my eye constantly watering. It's kind of irritating. I'm going to take Monday off of work (my birthday) and see if it gets any better. We'll see where we're at on Tuesday. The anti-biotics I was given are to be taken twice a day for 10 days. I really hope they help and that this is my actual problem because if I have to live with my right eye always watering constantly, I'm going to be seriously pissed off. It's weird...I'll keep this updated with any progress.

No comments: